Events Coming This Week
- Monday, April 16th – Math Morning 3rd – 5th Grade – In Your Child’s Classroom
- Friday, April 20th – Executive Board Meeting 8:30 am Auditorium
PTA Updates/School Updates
- Be sure to vote in this year’s Participatory Budgeting Process! See half sheet flyer Last year we won our Science Lab makeover (Construction is slated to start this summer!) This year we are seeking funding to install an HVAC System (Heating, Venting, Air-Conditioning System) in our cafeteria. Everyone in New York City Council District 5, 11 years old and up – including foreign residents is eligible to vote and you can vote for more than one project!! Which is why we are partnering with St. Catherine’s Park to push for their project (Updating and replacing plumbing and a better surface for the outdoor water play area.) and the Lexington Houses Playground Renovation (The playgrounds at Lexington Houses is unsafe and is in serious need of replacing.) Voting has been made simple!!! Just log on to http://bit.ly/pbnyc18 and vote by Sunday night!!!
- If you are interested in becoming a member of the PTA Executive Board, please reach out to the PS 183 Nominating Committee, Michele Kaufman, Mara Yentis, Kaori Bell and Jackie Racer. The PTA Executive Board works on raising funds throughout the year through various initiatives such as the auction, Family Giving Fund, Book Fair, etc. They also create the budget for the following school year working with administration to fund programs that are important to our school such as National Dance Institute, chess, professional development for teachers, classroom assistants and so much more! The Executive Board also arranges community service projects that our students participate in and works on community building events. Members of the Executive Board are expected to head up at least one project during the school year.
- If you are interested in serving on the School Leadership Team, please contact the PTA Co-Presidents, Patty Brahe, Joslin Paradise, or Lisa Zakhari. The School Leadership Team works closely with administration to plan projects such as Escape the Room, World Writer’s and Mathematician’s Day, the new science lab project and to update the Comprehensive Education Plan.
Department of Education Updates
- The 2018/2019 School Calendar has been published and can be found on the Department of Education website. The calendar lists the start date for the 2018/2019 school year, Parent/Teacher Conference dates, June Planning/Clerical days as well as all holidays.
- EXTENDED DEADLINE! The School Survey deadline has been extended!!! You may still log in online here. Last year we had a parent return rate of 61%, this year we have a return rate of 51% so take a few minutes to go online and tell us what you think about PS 183!!!
- The Vanderbilt Y, 224 East 47th Street, is hosting a Camp Open House for families with children ages 4 – 17 on Saturday, April 21st 10:00 am – 3:00 pm. Families are invited to learn about the many offerings available such as Kinder Camp, Day Camp, Teen Camp, Swim Camp, Multi Sports Camp and Specialized Sports Camp. There is an early bird discount available until the 21st and financial assistance is available for those who need.