Events Coming This Week
- Monday, January 15th – Martin Luther King Day, No School
- Thursday, January 18th – PTA Meeting 8:25 am Cafeteria, Topic: Dr. Michael Fraser on Compulsive Smartphone and Video Game Use
- Friday, January 19th – PS 183 Comedy Night 6:30 pm at the Broadway Comedy Club, 318 W. 53rd Street
PS 183 Safety/Procedure Announcements
- Pre-Kindergarten classes have no school on Wednesday, January 7th.
- Winter is here! And as per guidelines from the Department of Education, children benefit from vigorous exercise and should be given the opportunity to play outside whenever possible. Unless it is snowing, there is ice on the playground, or the wind chill factor creates an effective temperature below zero degrees Fahrenheit (-18 degrees Celsius), temperature alone should not be a barrier to outdoor play. PS 183 will be following these guidelines for outdoor play. We ask that all families dress their children for outdoor play EVERY DAY. This includes winter coats and other items to keep children’s heads and extremities warm.
PTA Updates/School Updates
- Science Fair Procedures: Families will be allowed into the gym at drop-off on the day of their child’s presentation to set up their projects. Students must then proceed to regular line up in the cafeteria and attendance in their classrooms. Parents/Guardians will be allowed to wait in the gym for the students to come back down for their presentations. Kindergarten will have regular drop-off to their classrooms with parents/guardians proceeding to the cafeteria to set up and wait for the presenters to come down. At the conclusion of the Science Fair at approximately 9:30 am, projects need to be packed up and taken home.
- Comedy Night is coming on Friday, January 19th at the Broadway Comedy Club, 318 W. 53rd Street at 6:30 pm. Book your babysitter now and get ready to laugh till it hurts. The evening is made possible by fellow parent and professional Stand-Up Comedian, Kyle Ocasio. See flyer in backpack mail for details!
- WE NEED YOU . . . to get donations for this year’s benefit auction!!! Watch backpack mail for details and download donation forms here!!! AND…Save the Date, Saturday, March 10th 6:30 pm at the Bohemian National Hall, 321 East 73rd Street.
- Congratulations to Jesse Uppal!!! She is this year’s winner of the PS 183 Spelling Bee and made PS 183 proud at the Manhattan Spelling Bee!!!
- First Semester Progress reports will be sent home on Friday, January 26th. Please keep the progress report for your records but sign and return the envelope ASAP to your child’s teacher
Department of Education Updates
- For families of students who will be eligible for Pre-K in Fall 2018, you can apply online starting on Monday, February 5th.
Of Interest to Parents/Guardians
- The New York Psychoanalytic Society & Institute, 247 East 82nd Street is hosting Dr. Wendy Olesker on January 24th 8:00 pm – 9:30 pm as she explores Understanding and Coping with Childhood Aggression. If you would like to attend, please visit nypsi.org or call 212-879-6900.
- Monday, January 22nd – 5th Grade Science fair 8:30 am Gym
- Tuesday, January 23rd – 4th Grade Science Fair 8:30 am Gym
- Wednesday, January 24th – 3rd Grade Science fair 8:30 gym
- Thursday, January 25th – 2nd Grade Science Fair 8:30 am Gym
- Friday, January 26th – 1st Grade Science Fair 8:30 am Gym
- Friday, January 26th – Kindergarten Science Fair 8:30 am Cafeteria
Events Coming Week of January 22nd: