Events Coming This Week
- Monday, December 18th – Math Morning for Third, Fourth and Fifth Grades, 8:30 am, Your Child’s Classroom
- Thursday, December 21st – PTA Meeting, 8:30 am Auditorium, Topic: Subtraction Strategies K -5th Grade with Math Coach, Nina Liu, and Principal Martin Woodard
PS 183 Safety/Procedure Announcements
- Parents/Guardians of students in 3rd – 5th Grade, coming for Math Morning, please remember to show your ticket (Found on the back of the information flyer sent home last Monday) when entering the building. If you lose or forget your ticket, you will have to show ID and sign into the building.
- Winter is finally here! And as per guidelines from the Department of Education, children benefit from vigorous exercise and should be given the opportunity to play outside whenever possible. Unless it is snowing, there is ice on the playground, or the wind chill factor creates an effective temperature below zero degrees Fahrenheit (-18 degrees Celsius), temperature alone should not be a barrier to outdoor play. PS 183 will be following these guidelines for outdoor play. We ask that all families dress their children for outdoor play EVERY DAY. This includes winter coats and other items to keep children’s heads and extremities warm.
- *****When children are sick and need to be picked up from school, you or the adult who is signing your child out of the building must present ID to School Safety to sign into the building and then must sign the child out of the Early Dismissal Book in the Main Office. This helps us maintain accurate records when children are picked up from the nurse.*****
- In order to maintain accurate attendance records, parents must send in copies of their travel itinerary or doctors’ notes. This can be done either by delivering a hard copy to the Main Office or clicking here.
- Do not give medication to anyone other than the School Nurse, Diana Riordan who will need a form completed by a doctor prior to any administration of the medication.
PTA Updates/School Updates
- Save the Date!!!! Comedy Night is coming on Friday, January 19th at the Broadway Comedy Club, 318 W. 53rd Street at 6:30 pm. Book your babysitter now and get ready to laugh till it hurts. The evening is made possible by fellow parent and professional Stand-Up Comedian, Kyle Ocasio.
- WE NEED YOU . . . to get donations for this year’s benefit auction!!! Watch backpack mail for details and download donation forms here!!! AND…Save the Date, Saturday, March 10th 6:30 pm at the Bohemian National Hall, 321 East 73rd Street.
- Congratulations to Jesse Uppal!!! She is this year’s winner of the PS 183 Spelling Bee and is now ready to take on Manhattan on Tuesday, January 9th at PS 59, 249 East 56th Street 4:00 pm.
Department of Education Updates
- For Families with students currently in Pre-K, please note that you will have to apply for a Kindergarten seat at PS 183 online through the Department of Education website. The system is set to go live on Tuesday, November 28th. The deadline to apply is Friday, January 12th.
- For families of students who will be eligible for Pre-K in Fall 2018, you can apply online starting on Monday, February 5th.
Events in the Neighborhood
- The 67th Street Library is holding an Author Visit and Book Talk with 16 year old Author, Jack Jacob. Jack is a former student at 183 who will be reading his book, Pillow Fight Night and then hosting a Q & A following the reading on Thursday, December 21st at 4:00 pm. No registration is needed.
Events Coming Week of December 25th:
- Monday, December 25th – Monday, January 1st – Winter Break
- School Resumes on Tuesday, January 2nd