The activities from these programs are not sponsored or endorsed by the New York City Department of Education or the City of New York
• Speaking Mandarin opens your child’s door to the future.
• Starting early gives them a leg up in achieving fluency.
• iCanMandarin is here to help your child speak Mandarin starting on day one.
• Each session incorporates an experiential cultural activity, including: martial arts, calligraphy, cooking, and much more.
• On Parent Day, you are invited to join us to celebrate your kid’s Mandarin skills.
Our Core Belief
Every child, grades k-12, should have an opportunity to learn and become fluent in Chinese (Mandarin) through a fun and interactive curriculum.
What is iCanMandarin?
iCanMandarin is an after school/weekend/summer Mandarin language instruction program that offers a research-informed curriculum focused on speaking and listening skills through interactive activities. Our methodology helps children develop a combination of language, cognitive, social, and cultural skills.
What do studies show about young children and language learning?
• Before age 5, children use the same part of the brain to acquire a second language that they use to learn their mother tongue.
• Learning a second language boosts problem-solving, critical-thinking, and listening skills, in addition to improving creativity, memory, concentration, and the ability to multitask.
• Compared to those without an additional language, bilingual children have improved reading, writing, and math skills & generally score higher on standardized tests.
Who designed this and how will teachers be trained?
• The curriculum and pedagogy have been custom designed by a group of specialists who have a combined experience of over 50 years of teaching and researching Chinese language instruction to American students. They are established authors of standard issue Mandarin textbooks.
• All instructors are native-level speakers, have an advanced degree in the teaching of foreign languages from a US institution. State-licensed teachers will be designated to schools as required.
• All instructors receive training before each semester starts and receive regular ongoing professional development throughout the semester.
Why is iCanMandarin unique?
• Performance-based curriculum and pedagogy laser-focused on speaking and listening skills.
• Nurtures confidence and curiosity alongside communicative development.
• Incorporates fun & interactive experiential activities that reinforces conversational competencies.