419 East 66th St. New York, NY 10065
The activities from these programs are not sponsored or endorsed by the New York City Department of Education or the City of New York
• Speaking Mandarin opens your child’s door to the future.
• Starting early gives them a leg up in achieving fluency.
• iCanMandarin is here to help your child speak Mandarin starting on day one.
• Each session incorporates an experiential cultural activity, including: martial arts, calligraphy, cooking, and much more.
• On Parent Day, you are invited to join us to celebrate your kid’s Mandarin skills.
Our Core BeliefEvery child, grades k-12, should have an opportunity to learn and become fluent in Chinese (Mandarin) through a fun and interactive curriculum.
What is iCanMandarin?iCanMandarin is an after school/weekend/summer Mandarin language instruction program that offers a research-informed curriculum focused on speaking and listening skills through interactive activities. Our methodology helps children develop a combination of language, cognitive, social, and cultural skills.
What do studies show about young children and language learning?• Before age 5, children use the same part of the brain to acquire a second language that they use to learn their mother tongue.
• Learning a second language boosts problem-solving, critical-thinking, and listening skills, in addition to improving creativity, memory, concentration, and the ability to multitask.
• Compared to those without an additional language, bilingual children have improved reading, writing, and math skills & generally score higher on standardized tests.
Who designed this and how will teachers be trained?• The curriculum and pedagogy have been custom designed by a group of specialists who have a combined experience of over 50 years of teaching and researching Chinese language instruction to American students. They are established authors of standard issue Mandarin textbooks.
• All instructors are native-level speakers, have an advanced degree in the teaching of foreign languages from a US institution. State-licensed teachers will be designated to schools as required.
• All instructors receive training before each semester starts and receive regular ongoing professional development throughout the semester.
Why is iCanMandarin unique?• Performance-based curriculum and pedagogy laser-focused on speaking and listening skills.
• Nurtures confidence and curiosity alongside communicative development.
• Incorporates fun & interactive experiential activities that reinforces conversational competencies.